Sunday, March 23, 2008

Taco Seasoning Mix

This is from a Quick Cooking magazine I got several years ago. I haven't bought Taco Seasoning Mix since. Tacos have become one of my kids favorite dish, so I make it about once a week, since it is something they will eat well. It is very good. You just mix the seasonings together and store in a small tupperware dish. I just keep it in the cupboard with my other seasonings. One batch is good for about 4 lbs. of taco meat.

Mix following seasonings together:
2 Tbsp. chili powder
5 tsp. paprika
4 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
3 tsp. onion powder
3 tsp. salt
2 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

To make Tacos with ground beef:
Brown and drain 1 lb. ground beef. Add 2/3 cup water and 8 tsp. of the above mix. (Store the rest in an air tight container until the next taco night.) Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer about 5 min.

Other notes:
I use this with shredded chicken as well. Just cook and shred chicken and follow directions above. Or, I have also done it with sliced chicken or steak. Then I just sprinkle the seasonings on while I am cooking the meat without adding water. This can also be used in any recipe calling for taco seasoning. Enjoy!!

No comments: