Sunday, March 23, 2008

7 Layer Salad



This yummy recipe is from my step-mother-in-law. She is asked to make it at just about all family gatherings. I started making it for my family and they request it from me frequently, including for Easter dinner today. It makes a very large bowl, but can easily be scaled down. Also, the dressing makes quite a bit- which our families like it that way. If you prefer less dressing, simply scale down as desired.


Dressing:
1 cup Hellman's Mayo (regular or light)
1 cup sour cream (regular or light)
1 Tbsp. prepared yellow mustard

Mix together and put on bottom of a very large bowl. Add the following ingredients on top of the dressing as follows:

frozen peas (about 1/2 bag)
1 green pepper, chopped
2 bundles green onion, chopped
celery- a few stalks, chopped
2 heads lettuce (any type- I prefer romaine)-torn
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 lb. bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled

Right before serving, toss with salad tools to mix veggies and dressing together. It looks prettier before tossed, but tastes excellent after it is tossed! Enjoy!

3 comments:

Traci Elizabeth said...

I have had something like this before, but this one seems a lot better! I am excited to make it! thanks!

Autumn said...

I love 7 layer salad...and don't have a recipe-thanks!

Anonymous said...

Great recipe!

I'm surprised how tough it is to find a good 7 layer salad recipe.

I was just looking around for them and found yours.

Thanks!