Sunday, March 2, 2008

Empanadas


Okay, I know I just did one, but here is another. I just discovered this recipe a couple weeks ago on allrecipes.com and have made them twice and they went so quickly each time.

This makes approximately 12 depending on size. I at least double it.

1/2 cup butter, softened
3 oz. cream cheese
1 cup pre-sifted all purpose flour
1 cup fruit preserves OR apple pie filling (w/ a bit of cinnamon added) OR Nutella spread with
some chopped nuts OR whatever strikes your fancy!
cinnamon & sugar mix (I do 1tsp cinnamon to 4 tsp sugar) OR powdered sugar
- your choice here, I read that the cinnamon is the "traditional" way- I have done both- very
yummy either way!

DAY BEFORE: Cream butter and cream cheese together until smoothly blended. Beat in the flour. Shape dough into a smooth ball, wrap in foil or cling wrap and refrigerate overnight, or up to a week.

AT BAKING TIME: Remove dough from fridge at least 30 min. before using. When ready to start, preheat oven to 375 deg.

Roll chilled dough thin. Cut with 3 or 4 in round cookie cutter. Place a small spoonful of the filling you choose in the center of each round. (It really only takes a tiny bit or they are hard to fold, and will leak.) moisten edges with a bit of water.

Fold round over and press edges together. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet 15- 20 min. (I used a pampered chef stone and it took a couple minutes longer.) Immediately roll in cinnamon mix or powdered sugar. (I meant for the above picture to be down here, but I am new to this- can't figure out how to move it. I copied if off the internet- it looks like it was made without being rolled in anything, but you get the idea.)


Enjoy!!!!!

2 comments:

Traci Elizabeth said...

Oh my...these look delicious!

everyday katie said...

Amanda...this looks unbelievable!