Saturday, July 26, 2008
Mint Chocolate Brownies
I got this recipe from a book I borrowed from a friend and made copies of. I believe it is called The Ultimate Brownie Book. I made them for a picnic and also used them to make a fun blog post on my blog for a contest entry. Read my blog post with it here. They are very good!
1 1/4 cup flour- plus additional for pan
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
12 TBSP unsalted butter- plus additional for pan- at room temperature
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
4 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 3/4 cup sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
1)Position rack in lower 1/3 of oven. Preheat oven to 350 deg. Butter and flour 9X13 pan- set aside.
2) In a small bowl, whisk the flour, salt, baking powder and soda until well combined. Set aside.
3) Place butter and both chocolates in top of a double boiler over simmering water. Stir consistently until melted. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
4) Beat the sugar into melted chocolate until well mixed- about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time, allowing each to be thoroughly incorporated before adding the next. After beating the 4th egg for one minute, add the vanilla and peppermint extracts
5) With a wooden spoon or spatula, stir in the flour mixture just until combined. Do not beat. Pour batter into pan, spreading gently to corners.
6) Bake for 30 min. or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Set the pan on a cooling rack to cool for at least one hour.
1/2 cup Marshmallow Fluff or marshmallow creme
6 TBSP unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 TBSP creme de menthe liqueur (I have no idea where to get this, so I just omitted...)
a few drops green food coloring (my addition)
1/2 tsp. mint extract (optional)- I did, since I didn't have the "liqueur"
2 cups confectioners sugar (more if necessary)
1/2 cup finely chopped bittersweet chocolate or mini semisweet choc. chips
1) In a large bowl, cream the Marshmallow Fluff and butter with electric mixer at medium speed until smooth and uniform. Beat in creme de menthe, mint extract, if desired and food coloring.
2) Beat in the confectioners sugar in 1/2 cup increments, making sure each addition is incorporated before adding the next and adding more sugar if necessary to achieve spreadable consistently. Stir in the chocolate chips; spread immediately on cooled brownies still in pan.