My friend, Kim, made these for a playgroup a few weeks ago. They were incredible! They tasted just like some I have had in restaurants, such as Chili's or Cheesecake factory. I made them tonight for the adults at my son's 5th birthday party and they ate them all gone! They are a bit spicy, so if you like spicy you will love them! The recipe is long, with lots of ingredients, but they are easy to put together- it really doesn't take much time. They do need to be frozen overnight. The recipe only makes 5 egg rolls (10 when cut in half) so it would be worth it to double or triple and keep in the freezer and take out a few at a time. (or make for a large group like I did-I tripled it and they were gone.) Also, if you do double or triple, you can still do a single recipe for the sauce- it doesn't take much dipping sauce.
1 chicken breast
1 Tbsp vegi oil
2 Tbsp minced parsley
2 Tbsp minced green onion
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/4 cup canned black beans- rinsed and drained
2 Tbsp minced red bell pepper
2 Tbsp diced/ canned jalapeño peppers
1/2 tsp. cumin
2 Tbsp. frozen spinach thawed/drained
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp salt
dash cayenne pepper
3/4 cup shredded mont jack cheese
5 7-in. flour tortillas
Avocado dipping sauce
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup smashed fresh avocado
1/4 cup sour cream
1 Tbsp buttermilk (see note below)**
1 1/2 tsp white vinegar
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp dried parsley
1/8 tsp onion powder
dash dried dill weed
dash garlic powder
1) dice chicken, coat in a small amount of vegi oil and cook in pan till no longer pink. Lightly salt & pepper while cooking. Set aside.
2) Heat 1 Tbsp oil in pan. Add red pepper and onion- saute a couple minutes until tender.
3) Add chicken back to pan and add the corn, black beans, spinach, jalapeno peppers, parsley, cumin, chili powder, salt and cayenne pepper to pan. Cook another 4 minutes. Stir well so that the spinach separates and is incorporated into the mixture. Remove from heat and add cheese- stir in until melted.
4) Wrap tortillas between two moist paper towels and microwave 45-60 sec. or until warm.
5) Spoon approx. 1/5 of mixture into tortillas. Fold ends in first and then wrap tightly. Secure with toothpicks to hold together ( I put on in each end.)
6) Arrange egg rolls on a plate (seam side down) and cover and freeze for at least 4 hours. Overnight is best.
7) Prepare dipping sauce by mixing all ingredients together in a small bowl.
8) Preheat 4-6 cups oil to 375 deg. Deep fry egg rolls in the hot oil for approx. 10 min. (more or less depending on oil temp.) Remove to a paper towel or rack to drain for a couple minutes. Remove toothpicks and slice diagonally lengthwise and arrange on a plate around a small bowl of the dipping sauce.
**a tip from Kim that I, too, found useful. If you are like me and don't use buttermilk for anything else, you can make your own by combining one cup regular milk with one TBSP vinegar and let it sit at least a few minutes. That way you are throwing away less than a cup of milk instead of the whole bottle of buttermilk that you aren't going to use.