Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Texas Chicken Quesadillas


I found this recipe when I was browsing allrecipes.com looking for a quesadilla type recipe that was a little different. This is what I found and it is so so so good- I have made it several times! By preparing the onions as directed, it gives them a carmelized texture/taste. The only thing I did different is added taco seasoning to the chicken as it cooked- my own opinion is that the chicken needs seasoned (the recipe didn't call for seasoning) and I can't stand plain chicken....

2 TBSP olive oil, divided
1 onion sliced into rings
1 TBSP honey
3 skinless boneless chicken breasts (cut into chunks or strips)
Taco seasoning packet or mix (my addition)
1/2 cup BBQ sauce
1/2 cup (or more....) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup (or more....) shredded monterey jack cheese
8 (7-10in.) flour tortillas

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2) In a large skillet, heat 1 TBSP oil over med high heat. Cook and stir onion slices until translucent. Add honey and stir until onion is golden brown- about 5 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
3) Place remaining oil and chicken in skillet- add seasonings as desired- cook until chicken is no longer pink. Stir in BBQ sauce and evenly coat chicken.
4) Place 4 tortillas on a large cookie sheet and layer individually with chicken, onions, cheeses. Top with remaining tortillas.
5) Bake uncovered for 15-20 min. or until cheese is melted. Don't let tortillas become too crisp.

Remove from pans and top as desired with sour cream, lettuce, tomato, corn, WHATEVER!!

Serves 4

No comments: