Friday, May 1, 2009

Banana Bread with Streusel-Nut Topping....


Sorry about my lack of posting. My husband and I just bought our first home and the last month has consisted of packing, moving, painting, unpacking....and not so much cooking. But, I am so excited about this recipe that I had to share! I have tried MANY banana bread recipes...and this is by far my favorite. It's moist, thick and I LOVE THE TOPPING on it. So here it is, by far the best banana bread recipe I have yet to come across!


Banana Bread with Streusel-Nut Topping
Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 beaten eggs
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (5 medium)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup cooking oil or melted butter
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
Grease one 9x5x3-inch or two 7 1/2x3 1/2x 2-inch loaf pans; Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
In a medium bowl combine eggs, bananas, sugar and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared pan (s).
Prepare topping by combining in a small bowl brown sugar and 3 tablespoons flour. Using a pastry blender, cut in 2 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in chopped walnuts. Sprinkle topping over batter.
Bake at 350 degrees for 55 to 60 minutes for a 9x5x3-inch pan, or 40 to 45 minutes for a 7 1/2 x3 1/2x2-inch pan, or until wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack. Wrap and store overnight before slicing (I waited about 4 hours).

2 comments:

Amanda B. said...

Oh yum,...I am so gonna make it!

Unknown said...

that looks so good. i swear i could smell it through my laptop screen. great post:)